Ivan Reitman Departs Director's Chair of GHOSTBUSTERS 3


By Amirose Eisenbach March 20, 2014


Who didn't adore the comedic trio of Dan Aykroyd, Billy Murray and Harold Ramis? It's been a long, long road to bring "Ghostbusters 3" to life, with many obstacles standing in its way. The fate of the production has been in question for over 20 years since the second installment was released. Murray had never officially signed on and tragedy unfortunately struck earlier this year when Ramis died. Now another big boulder has been dropped in the road, as director Ivan Reitman has departed the production.

Reitman was one of the biggest supporters in trying to get the third film moving along. He directed and produced the previous two films, so for a figure like him to depart the project, it definitely doesn't instill much hope that it will actually come to fruition.

On the process and his decision to leave, Reitman stated, "There has been all kinds of stuff, unofficially written about Ghostbusters. I’ve been reading things online for about four years, speculation on who’s writing, what they’re writing, who’s in it, who we will use, and who’s directing. We’d decided not to comment up till now, I wasn’t sure what I was going to do, and it was never clear what Bill was going to do. A lot of things happened in the last few months, the most significant of which was the passing of Harold, who was a very good friend who was extraordinarily influential in my career. We did five movies together including both Ghostbusters."

On the obstacle of securing Murray, Reitman also elaborated on the lengthy process it has entailed. Apparently there were two scripts in order to attempt to lure him in:

"The first was done by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, and me, Harold and Dan helped them on it. It was a really good script, but then it became clear that Bill really didn’t want to do another Ghostbusters and that it was literally impossible to find him to speak to for the year or two we tried to get it going. When Bill finally…well, he never actually said no, but he never said yes, so there was no way to make that film. We decided to start over again, and I started working with Etan Cohen, with Dan lending a helping hand. Harold got sick about three years ago, and we kept hoping he would get better. I kept pushing forward on the Etan Cohen and we now have a draft that is very good, that the studio is very excited about.

It’s a version of Ghostbusters that has the originals in a very minor role. When I came back from Harold’s funeral, it was really moving and it made me think about a lot of things. I’d just finished directing Draft Day, which I’m really happy with and proud of. Working on a film that is smaller and more dramatic was so much fun and satisfying. I just finally met with Amy and Doug Belgrad when I got back. I said I’d been thinking about it for weeks, that I’d rather just produce this Ghostbusters. I told them I thought I could help but let’s find a really good director and make it with him. So that’s what we’ve agreed will happen. I didn’t want all kinds of speculation about what happened with me, that is the real story."

It has certainly not been an easy time to get a third installment of the beloved franchise off the ground. The studio has an early 2015 production start date in mind but the real question now is, do we think it will actually even happen? We'll keep you posted as the story continues.

Do you think there will be a "Ghostbusters 3"? Let us know in the comments section below!

Source: Collider

Get your tickets as well as theater and showtime information here!

Follow us on Twitter for your daily dose of AMC Movie News! @AMCMovieNews

Follow me @Amirosie



Latest Videos - AMC Movie Talk

Recent Comments